- 1 pheasant weighing 1.25 kg (2 1/2 lbs)
- 3 oz (75 g) back bacon
- 4 oz (100 g) Parma ham
- 6 leaves fresh sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 thin rashers streaky bacon
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup. dry white wine
- Wash and dry pheasant. Chop back bacon and Parma ham finely. Chop sage and combine with a little salt, pepper, lemon rind and the chopped bacon and ham.
- Preheat oven to 220Â°C (425Â°F) Gas Mark 7.
- Rub pheasant inside with salt, then fill with stuffing and sew up.
- Heat oil in roasting pan. Brown pheasant well on all sides, lay breast side up in pan and cover breast with streaky bacon rashers.
- Roast pheasant on lowest oven shelf for 40 minutes, basting frequently with wine and pan juices.
- Remove bacon 10 minutes before end of roasting time to allow breast to brown