- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 500g/1lb 2oz steak
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- 250g/9oz chestnut mushrooms
- 200ml/7fl oz beef stock
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 284ml/10fl oz carton soured cream
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan.
- Cook the sliced onion for 5 minutes until softened. Meanwhile cut the beef into thin strips. Season the flour with salt, pepper and paprika, then toss in the beef to coat lightly, shaking off any excess.
- Add the beef to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown.
- Halve the mushrooms, add to the pan and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Pour in the stock and vinegar, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir the soured cream into the pan and cook gently for 1 minute, without boiling (if the mixture boils it will curdle), then season to taste. Spoon the stroganoff on to a bed of rice or noodles and sprinkle with a little extra paprika.